Pottery and ceramics in Maine are long venerated traditions. Hand crafted mugs and bowls have served Maine’s inhabitants for hundreds of years.
In Wayne we are blessed with two excellent pottery studios:
- A Lakeside Studio at 12 Cedar Point Road, http://www.alakesidestudiopottery.com/ Martha Hoddinott rolls slabs, throws pots and fashions the most wonderful people and creatures in her studio right next to the lake. Visitors welcome Thursday through Sunday!
- Wayne Village Pottery on Main Street just down from the General Store http://bit.ly/118qAFj The Saunders family, proprietors of Wayne Village Pottery, use clay that is dug directly from pits behind their home, down by the lake. Yes, it is true Wayne pottery!
The Maine Pottery Tour covers most of the southern and central parts of the state. There are now (2017) so many participants they have broken the tour into different “legs”. Here is the link to the website. http://mainepotterytour.org/
Below are some of the closer studios.
1. Fine Mess Pottery, 131 Cony St, Augusta (207)622-1003 http://www.finemesspottery.com/
2. Malley Weber, 6 Orchard Lane, Hallowell (207)607-1011 https://malleyweber.wordpress.com/
3. Loken Pottery, 26 Bowman St, Farmingdale 207-582-1387 Neal and Barb Loken with guest artists Becca Cross and Pasang Tsering http://mainepottersmarket.com/artist6.html
4. Maple Lane Pottery, 36 Greeley Rd, Windsor (207)549-3495 http://maplelanepottery.blogspot.com/
5. Mudgirl 846 Memorial Drive, Winthrop 592-4100 http://dharwoodpottery.com/
6. A Lakeside Studio Pottery, 12 Cedar Point Rd, Wayne (207)685-8123 Martha Hoddinott http://www.alakesidestudiopottery.com/
7. The Potter’s House 82 Stevenstown Rd, Litchfield (207) 582-7985 http://www.thepottershouse.com/
8. Liz Profetty 118 Old County Rd, Newcastle – Saturday Only. With guest artist Jeffrey Lipton. http://www.lizproffetty.com/
9. Salt Box Pottery, 4 Shaw Rd, Woolwich (207)443-5586 http://saltboxpottery.com/
10. Portland Pottery, 118 Washington Avenue, Portland, Maine (207)772-4334 https://www.facebook.com/Portland.Pottery
11. Whitefield Pottery, 442 Howe Road, Whitefield (207) 518-3781 http://www.whitefieldpottery.com/contact.html